Auto accident attorneys in Stuart have confirmed that pedestrian accidents have become an everyday occurrence in the USA. Responsible drivers know to drive defensively and keep an eye out for other vehicles on the roads, but an increase in pedestrian accidents shows us that pedestrians needs to be more vigilant than ever to avoid accidents. These incidents can cause injury, pain, lost work, and even death for the pedestrian, not to mention the impact it has on friends and family. Emotional and psychological trauma can also result for drivers involved in these types of accidents.
It is important that pedestrians always remain alert.
Auto accident attorneys from Stuart suggest that pedestrians follow these suggestions:
- Follow the most basic rule – When crossing, stop at the edge of the street and look to the left, then the right, then the left again before proceeding to cross.
- Cross intersections defensively – not all drivers are good drivers.
- Try to cross as quickly as possible to minimize your time in the roadway.
- Try to always cross at intersections and preferably in marked crosswalks.
- Do not jaywalk or cross from between parked cars!
- Do your best to attempt to make eye contact with drivers in order to ensure that they do see you.
- Even though you have the legal right to be there, always watch for turning vehicles. Having the legal right to be there does not protect you from the carelessness of some motorists.
- Always make use of sidewalks when they are available.
- Wait for vehicles to make a complete stop before crossing at a pedestrian crossing.
- Look for reverse lights and be aware around parked cars and driveways.
- Stay alert ! Vehicles can sometimes be approaching more quickly than you think they are.
There’s more to pedestrian safety than just obeying traffic laws. If you do however, find yourself in the position where you need the services of an auto accident attorney in Stuart , then contact us at The Law Office of Gloria Seidule for an experienced attorney’s advice.